Grandparents’ Rights
Wheaton Attorneys
Call Us Now Email Us Our Attorneys Office Locations

Chicago Office

20 N. Clark Street
Suite 2720
Chicago, Illinois 60602
Phone: 312-345-9999

Schaumburg Office

1515 E. Woodfield Road
Suite 640
Schaumburg, IL 60173
Phone: 847-995-9999

Wheaton Office

400 S. County Farm Road
Suite 320
Wheaton, Illinois 60187
Phone: 630-653-9400

Orland Park Office

15255 W. 94th Ave
Suite 201
Orland Park, IL 60462
Phone: 708-226-9904

Orland Park Grandparents' Rights Lawyers

Though the legal rights of grandparents vary from state to state, Illinois grandparents have the right to petition the court for visitation rights under certain circumstances. Additionally, grandparents can petition for custody of their grandchild, although only in limited circumstances. At Anderson & Associates, P.C., we assist grandparents looking to seek more visitation time as well as parents who want to oppose those rights. Our attorneys are always watchful of a child's needs above the wants of all parties involved in litigation, but also seek to resolve all matters effectively.

Grandparents' Rights Under Illinois Law

In the State of Illinois, parents have the right to determine what type of relationship grandparents have with their children. Parents can choose to allow or disallow grandparents to visit their grandchildren. Courts can intervene if a parent's ability to determine a grandparent's relationship with a child is hindered. These types of situations include:

  • When both parents do not live together
  • When one parent is absent
  • When one parent is deceased
  • When one parent is incarcerated
  • When one parent is disabled or incapacitated

In these circumstances, grandparents can petition the court for visitation rights if their own child cannot permit it. If a grandparent has been the primary caregiver of their grandchild for a long period of time, that grandparent can try to gain custody of the child. That said, the court will only grant visitation or custody to grandparents if it is in the best interest of the child.

If you are a grandparent who has not been given proper visitation rights, or if you oppose visitation rights to a grandparent as a child's guardian, contact us to schedule a free consultation. Our Orland Park office or four other offices in the Chicago area will be able to help you.