Facebook Twitter Our Blog
Anderson and Associates, P.C.

Free Initial Consultation


Orland Park Divorce Attorney for College Expenses

Palos Heights family law attorney for child issues

Law Firm Working With Divorcing Parents to Pay Children's Educational Expenses in Tinley Park

Following a divorce, parents are required to provide financial support for their children. For minor children, this typically takes the form of child support, which covers children's day-to-day expenses, including food, clothing, and shelter. However, parents should be aware that support may also extend after their children have graduated from high school, and they may be required to help pay for the costs of their children's college education.

The experienced, compassionate attorneys of Anderson and Associates, P.C. have assisted parents in a wide variety of divorce cases, and we understand the difficulties that can arise as parents determine how best to ensure that their children receive the education they deserve. We are dedicated to protecting the rights of children during divorce, and we can help you resolve any issues that you experience with financial support.

Paying for Post-Secondary Education

While parents' obligation to provide financial support for minor children terminates after a child turns 18 (or 19, if they have not yet graduated from high school), parents may also be obligated to contribute non-minor support toward the costs of a college education. The court may decide to award support out of either parent's property or income, or from the estate of a deceased parent. This support will last until the child obtains a baccalaureate degree, gets married, or reaches the age of 23. Support may be terminated if the child fails to maintain a "C" grade average.

Types of College Expenses

In Illinois, the court may require divorced parents to help pay for some or all of the following expenses:

  • Tuition, room, and board that does not exceed the costs of in-state tuition, fees, and housing expenses at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
  • Medical costs, including health insurance and expenses related to dental care.
  • Books and supplies.
  • Other living expenses, including the costs of food, utilities, and transportation for a child who lives in one parent's home while attending college.
  • A maximum of five college applications.
  • A maximum of two standardized college entrance exams.
  • One standardized college entrance exam preparatory course.

A parent may be required to make non-minor support payments directly to their child, to the child's other parent, to the educational institution they attend, or through a trust or special account created for the purpose of managing the payment of college expenses.

Contact an Orland Park Divorce Lawyer

At Anderson and Associates, P.C., we can help you understand your obligations for providing support for your children following your divorce and work with you to ensure that they will have the financial resources they need as they pursue a college education. Contact our Cook County divorce attorneys at 708-226-9904 today to schedule your free consultation. We assist clients in Orland Park, Tinley Park, Homer Glen, Oak Forest, Homewood, Mokena, and Palos Heights.

Chicago Bar Association DuPage Association of Woman Lawyers Illinois State Bar Association DuPage County Bar Association Northwest Suburban Bar Association
Orland Park Office
Schaumburg Office
Chicago Office
Wheaton Office
Downers Grove Office
Back to Top