Facebook Twitter Our Blog
Anderson and Associates, P.C.

Call Today for a Consultation


Tinley Park Divorce Attorney for Stay At Home Parents

Homer Glen divorce lawyer

Lawyers Representing Homemakers During Divorce in Orland Park, Oak Forest and Homer Glen

When spouses decide to dissolve their marriage through divorce, they will experience substantial changes to their lives, and they will naturally be faced with stress and uncertainty about the future, as well as concerns about their ability to financially support themselves and their families. These worries can be especially prominent for a spouse who has chosen to stay at home and focus on family responsibilities instead of working in a full-time career.

At Anderson & Associates, P.C., our compassionate, experienced attorneys understand the difficulties that stay-at-home parents face during divorce, and we are dedicated to helping you obtain the financial resources that will meet your family's needs.

Temporary Relief While Divorce Is Pending

The costs of divorce can be substantial, and they often extend beyond the attorney's fees and court costs required to settle outstanding legal issues. A stay-at-home parent may have difficulty covering the costs of rent or mortgage payments, moving expenses, utilities, groceries, educational or daycare fees, or other day-to-day expenses. However, during divorce, they may petition the court for temporary relief, asking for financial support from their spouse that will allow them to meet their needs.

A petition for temporary maintenance or temporary child support should be accompanied by a financial affidavit or other supporting evidence that demonstrates the need for support, such as tax returns, pay stubs, and bank statements. If the court grants a petition for temporary relief, a court order will be issued, and both parties will be required to follow this court order until the divorce is finalized.

Permanent Support After the Finalization of Divorce

Throughout the divorce process, spouses will work toward a settlement on all outstanding legal issues that must be resolved. This settlement will be incorporated into the final divorce decree. For stay-at-home parents, a settlement may include the following:

  • Spousal maintenance (alimony) - A stay-at-home parent who earns limited or no income may be eligible to receive ongoing financial support from their former spouse. Spousal support may be granted based on a variety of factors, including the spouses' standard of living during their marriage, whether a stay-at-home parent made contributions toward the other spouse's career, and a parent's ability to pursue employment while caring for their children. If granted, the amount of maintenance payments will be based on both parties' incomes, and the duration of payments will be based on the length of the marriage.
  • Child support - If children will be living with a stay-at-home parent for the majority of the time, the other parent will typically pay them child support intended to meet the children's ongoing daily needs. The amount of child support is based on both parents' incomes, as well as each parent's amount of parenting time.
  • Division of marital property - Even if a stay-at-home parent was not the primary income earner during their marriage, all property acquired during the marriage (including physical possessions, real estate, bank account balances, and retirement funds or pensions) is considered marital property that should be fairly and equitably divided between the spouses.

Contact an Orland Park Divorce Lawyer

If you are a stay-at-home parent who is uncertain of your options during divorce, the attorneys of Anderson & Associates can provide you with the representation you need. We will work to protect your rights throughout the divorce process and help you make sure your family will have the financial resources you need in the next stage of your life. Contact a Cook County divorce attorney at 708-226-9904 to schedule a consultation. We serve clients in Orland Park, Mokena, Homer Glen, Tinley Park, Oak Forest, Will County and Cook County.

Chicago Bar Association DuPage Association of Woman Lawyers Illinois State Bar Association DuPage County Bar Association Northwest Suburban Bar Association
Orland Park Office
Schaumburg Office
Wheaton Office
Back to Top